Passamaquoddy Region Bibliography

Calais | Campobello | Deer Island | Dennysville |
Eastport | Grand Manan | Lubec | Passamaquoddy/Sipayik |
Pembroke | Perry | Robbinston | St. Andrews | St. Stephen | Whiting

GENERAL WORKS

If you have suggestions for this page, let us know through this link: tides [at] tidesinstitute [dot] org.

INTRODUCTION

*=book or article held by the Tides Institute Library.
*(pc)=photocopy of book or article held by the Tides Institute Library.

N THIS AGE OF THE INTERNET, there are an increasing number of resources available online. On the New Brunswick side of the border, one of the most important sites is the University of New Brunswick’s QUEST database: Quest. Also very important is the New Brunswick Public Libraries Union Catalogue: New Brunswick Public Libraries Union Catalogue. Through this catalog, one can find the holdings of Quoddy libraries located in New Brunswick and that participate in the Saint John, New Brunswick regional library system, including the Campobello Public Library in Welchpool, Campobello, the Grand Manan Library, and the Ross Memorial Library in St. Andrews. Two other useful sites include the New Brunswick Museum (Saint John, New Brunswick): www.gov.nb.ca/0130 and the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick (Fredericton, New Brunswick): www.gov.nb.ca/archives

On the Maine side of the border, one of the more important web sites is the University of Maine library (www.umaine.edu/index/libcom.htm). The university’s Fogler Library (www.libraries.maine.edu/umaine) and the “Mariner” gateway to digital collections and other resources within the University of Maine system (www.libraries.maine.edu/mariner) can be found from this home page. “URSUS” (http://130.111.643), the online catalog of the University of Maine System and other participating libraries, can be very useful. So can the Maine Folklife Archives which can be searched using the University of Maine System Archives database (www.umaine.edu/index/libcom.htm. The Maine State Library’s statewide union catalog of Maine libraries, “MaineCat,” is extremely useful and is also available online (www.maine.library.net). In addition, the Maine Historical Society in Portland has launched with the help of others, the Maine Memory Project as a web based resources for photographs, documents and other materials relating to Maine’s history. Now in its beta testing format, the site can be searched for specific towns and subjects through http://www.mainememory.net

In addition, there are several good bibliographical for Maine and New Brunswick that include material about the Quoddy area. For New Brunswick, see the two volumes: *New Brunswick History: A Checklist of Secondary Sources. Compiled by Hugh A. Taylor. Fredericton, New Brunswick: Provincial Archives of New Brunswick, 1971. Xii, 254 pp; and *New Brunswick History: A Checklist of Secondary Sources. First Supplement. Compiled by Eric L. Swanick. Federicton, New Brunswick: Legislative Library, 1974. Vi, 96 pp. Also extremely important is *Acadiensis: Journal of the History of the Atlantic Region published since 1971 by the department of history at the University of New Brunswick at Fredericton. The journal regularly includes extensive and comprehensive biographical listings of new materials relating to the history of Atlantic Provinces, including Passamaquoddy Bay. The Tides Institute library maintains a complete run of the journal, Acadiensis, and has as well the two New Brunswick History checklist and supplement volumes.

For Maine, see *Volume Two, John D. Haskell, Jr. (editor) Maine: A Bibliography of Its History (Hanover, New Hampshire: University Press of New England, 1977); and *Volume Eight, Roger Parks (editor), New England: Additions to the Six State Bibliographies (Hanover, New Hampshire: University Press of New England, 1989). Both of these volumes are held at the Tides Institute library.

GENERAL WORKS:
Return to Top of Page

*Sidney Hyde. “Great Gale at Passamaquoddy”. Putnam’s Magazine. New Series. Vol.V, No. XXVI (February, 1870). Pp. 212-216. Concerns the Saxby Gale of 1869.

*J.G. Lorimer. History of Islands & Islets in the Bay of Fundy, Charlotte County; From their earliest settlement to the present time; including Sketches of Shipwrecks and Other Events of Exciting Interest. St. Stephen, New Brunswick: Saint Croix Courier, 1876. 134 pp.

*Atlas of Washington County, Maine. Compiled drawn and Published from Official Plans and Actual Surveys by George N. Colby & Co. Houlton and Machias, Maine. 1881. Reprinted by Cherryfield Narraguagus (Maine) Historical Society, 1978. 67 pp. Includes maps of towns of Dennysville, Eastport, Lubec, Pembroke, Pembroke, Robbinston, and Whiting as well as listing of business subscribers to the atlas from these towns.

*William Henry Kilby. Eastport and Passamaquoddy: A Collection of Historical and Biographical Sketches. Boston: Edward E. Shead, 1888, reprint 1982.

*Geo. F. Bacon. Calais, Eastport and Vicinity, their Representative Business Men, and Points of Interest, …. Newark, New Jersey: Glenwood Publishing Company, 1892.

*W. A. Croffut. “The Quoddy Islands.” Frank Leslie’s Popular Monthly. Vol.XXXIV, No.4 (October, 1892), pp.437-441.

*Souvenir of Quoddy: Points of Interest on Our Eastern Boundary. Photographed and Published by C. E. Brown, Loring Studio, Eastport, Maine, 1893. 42 pp. Contains 54 photographs from around the Passamaquoddy Bay region.

*Art Work of Calais and Eastport, Maine: Illustrated. Chicago, Ill.: W.H. Parish, 1895. Published in nine parts. Includes photographs of Campobello, Eastport and Lubec along with text.

*Border Cities Souvenir. [Lewiston]: R.J. Lawton, 1908. Includes sections on Eastport, Lubec, and St. Andrews.

*International Adjudications. Edited by John Bassett Moore. Modern Series. Volume VI. Arbitration of the Title to Islands in Passamaquoddy Bay and the Bay of Fundy. Mixed Commission under Article IV of the Treaty between Great Britain and the united States of December 24, 1814. New York: Oxford University Press, 1933. XXVI, 418 pp.

*Manning’s Calais Eastport and Lubec Directory for year beginning August 1935. Vol.1 Portland, Maine: H.A. Manning Co., c. 1935.

*Eastern Telephone and Telegraph Company. Telephone Directory. June, 1937. 36 pp. Includes listings for Campobello, Deer Island, Dennysville, Eastport, Edmunds, Grand Manan, Lubec, Pembroke, Perry, Robbinston, and Whiting.

*Howard I. Chapelle. “The Lubec carry-away boats.” Yachting Magazine. 1940.

*Richard Edward DuWors. “Values as an Heuristac Concept in Community Analysis: A Comparative Study.” Ph.D.thesis, Harvard University, 1949. A comparative sociological study of Eastport and Lubec.

*Harold Davis. An International Community on the St. Croix, 1604-1930. Orono, Maine: University of Maine Press, 1950, reprint 1974.

*(pc)Richard E. Du Wors. “Persistence and Change in Local Values of Two New England Communities.” Rural Sociology. 17 (September, 1952). Pp. 207-217. Concerns Eastport and Lubec.

*Theodore Holmes. “A History of the Passamaquoddy Tidal Power Project.” M.A. thesis. University of Maine, 1950.

*Carl George Winter. “A Note on the Passamaquoddy Boundary Affair.” Canadian Historical Review. 34 (1953), pp.46-53

*Harold A. Davis. “The Fenian raid on New Brunswick.” Canadian Historical Review. 36 (1955), pp.316-334.

*L.M. Cumming. Geology of the Passamaquoddy Bay Region, Charlotte County, New Brunswick. Geological Survey of Canada. Paper 65-29. Ottawa, Ontario: Department of Energy, Mines and Resources, 1966. Vi, 36 pp. Includes two fold out maps.

*Alvin C. Gluek, Jr. “The Passamaquoddy Bay Treaty, 1910: A Diplomatic Sideshow in Canadian-American Relations.” Canadian Historical Review. 47 (1966), pp. 1-21.

*David Sanger. “Passamaquoddy Bay Prehistory: A Summary.” Maine Archaeological Society. Vol. 11, No. 2. (Fall, 1971) Pp.14-19.

*Allie Ryan, Penobscot Bay, Mount Desert and Eastport Steamboat Album. Camden, Maine: Down East Enterprise, 1972. *R. Tallman and J. Tallman, “The Diplomatic Search for the St.Croix River, 1796-1798.” Acadiensis. 1(Spring 1972), pp.59-71.

*Arthur L. Johnson. “The International Line: A History of the Boston-Saint John Steamship Service.” American Neptune. 33 (April 1973), pp. 79-94.

*George Marvin. “Passamaquoddy! The Dream that Won’t Die.” The Ellsworth American, 1974 (a printing of the author’s honors thesis completed at Bowdoin College).

*Albion Richardson. “Boat Building in Charlotte County and a Bit of Family History.” Unpublished Manuscript. Pp. 39. n.d.[?1975].

*Peter Amory Bradford. Fragile Structures: A Story of Oil Refineries, National Security, and the Coast of Maine. New York: Harper’s Magazine Press, 1975.

*Raymond Moreau. “Passamaquoddy Tidal Power: An Analysis,” M.A. thesis, University of Maine, 1977.

*Martin L.H. Thomas (Editor). Marine and Coastal Systems of the Quoddy Region, New Brunswick. Canadian Special Publication of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 64. Ottawa: Government of Canada, Department of Fisheries and Oceans, 1983. 306 pp.

*Michael Crowley. “Sardine Carriers, Part I.” WoodenBoat,No. 58 (May/June 1984), pp. 52-58 and “Sardine Carriers, Part II,’ WoodenBoat, No. 59 (July/August 1984), pp. 70-73, 76-77.

*Michael W. Zimmerman. The Sunrise Route: A History of the Railroads of Washington County, Maine. Brewer, Maine: Cay-Bel Publishing Company, 1985.

*Wentworth, Ernest and Richard Wilbur. Silver Harvest: The Fundy Weirmen’s Story. Fredericton: Fiddlehead Poetry Books & Goose Lane Editions, 1986. 95 pp.

*(pc)David Sanger. “An Introduction to the Prehistory of the Passamaquoddy Region.” American Review of Canadian Studies. Vol. XVI, No.2 (Summer, 1986). Pp. 139-159.

*Joyce Emery Kinney. The Vessels of Way DownEast. Bangor, Maine: Furbish-Roberts, 1989.

*Hereward Senior. The Last Invasion of Canada: The Fenian Raids, 1866-1870. Toronto: Dundurn Press/Canadian War Museum, 1991. 226 pp. See in particular, Chapter 4, “The Campobello Fiasco,” pp. 45-57.

*Voices of the Bay: Reflections on Changing Times along Fundy Shores. Edited by Richard Wilbur and Janice Harvey. Interviews by David H. Thompson. Fredericton: Conservation Council of New Brunswick, 1992. Vii, 86 pp.

*John D.Gilman. Masts and Masters: A brief history of Sardine Carriers and Boatmen Deer Island, New Brunswick: the author, 1993.

*David B. Mattern. Benjamin Lincoln and the American Revolution. Columbia, South Carolina: University of South Carolina Press, 1995. 317 pp.

*Sunrise County Architecture, second enlarged and revised edition (Machias, Maine: Sunrise Research Institute, 1996). Includes sections on Campobello, Dennysville, Eastport, Lubec, Pembroke, Perry, Robbinston, and Whiting.

David Black. “Rum Beach and the Susquehanna tradition in the Quoddy Region, Charlotte County, New Brunswick.” Canadian Journal of Archaeology. Volume 24 (2000). Pp. 89-106.

*Herring Weirs: The Only Sustainable Fishery. A Pictorial Journey by Rick Doucet and Richard Wilbur. St. George, New Brunswick: Image Express, 2000. 76 pp.

*Maine Sardine Industry History, 1875-2000. Compiled by James L. Warren. Brewer, Maine: Published by the Author, 2000. 160 pp.

*John Gilman. Canned: A History of the Sardine Industry. Part 1. St. Stephen, New Brunswick: Parsons Printing, 2001. viii, 304 pp.

CAMPOBELLO:

N. S. Shaler. The Island of Campobello. Preliminary report. 11. 1881. M

*Campobello Company, Boston. Campobello Island. 22. 1881-1882. L

*Kate Gannett Wells. “The Quoddy Hermit.” The Atlantic Monthly. vol. 55, issue 332 (June 1885), pp. 821-826. Quoddy Hermit

*Campobello Jingles. Vol.1-2 (six issues, December 1, 1887-February 9, 1888).

*K. G. Wells. “The Brass Cannon of Campobello.” In The New England Magazine. Sept., 1891. 10. 1891. M. The Brass Cannon

*K. G. Wells. Campobello, An Historical Sketch. 47. 1893. L Historical Sketch

K. G. Wells. “Four Old Houses at Campobello.” 6. In Acadiensis II, 222. 1902. L

M. Vesey. “Campobello’s Story.” 6. In MA XXIX (12), 8.

*Narrative of American Voyages and Travels of Captain William Owen, R.N. And Settlement of The Island of Campobello in The Bay of Fundy, 1766-1771. Edited by Victor Hugo Paltsits. New York: New York Public Library, 1942. Xiii, 169 pp.

I. Scalanders. “Canadian Island [President F.D. Roosevelt and Campobello].” 4. In Macleans LXIV (16), 18. 1951. U

*”Roosevelt’s ‘Beloved Island’ – Campobello.” Down East. Vol. V, No. 1 (August, 1958), pp.26-31.

*W. A. R. Chapin. The Story of Campobello. 39. 1960. L

F. H. Phillips. “New Brunswick Isle for American Legend [Campobello].” 6. In AA L (11), 25. 1906. L

B. E. Barber. A Guide to … Campobello Island [Charlotte County]. [unpaged]. 1962. L

*(pc)William R. Willoughby. “The Roosevelt Campobello International Park Commission.” In Dalhousie Review 54 (Summer, 1974), pp.289-297.

*Alden Nowlan. Campobello: The Outer Island. Toronto: Clarke, Irwin & Company, 1975. Xi, 132 pp.

*C. H. Burrows. Captain Owen of the African Survey: The hydrographic surveys of Admiral W.F.W. Owen on the coast of Africa and the Great Lakes of Canada, His fight againts the African slave trade, His life in Campobello Island, New Brunswick, 1774-1857. Rotterdam: A.A. Balkema, 1979. viii, 248 pp.

*Mary M. Huth. “Kate Gannett Wells, Anti-Suffragist.” The University of Rochester Library Bulletin. Vol. XXXIV, 1981. Pp. 3-23.

*Stephen O. Muskie. Campobello: Roosevelt’s “Beloved Island.” Preface by Joseph P. Lash. Camden, Maine: Down East Books for the Roosevelt Campobello International Park Commission, 1982. Xxii, 131 pp.

*Hereward Senior. The Last Invasion of Canada: The Fenian Raids, 1866-1870. Toronto: Dundurn Press/Canadian War Museum, 1991. 226 pp. See in particular, Chapter 4, “The Campobello Fiasco,” pp. 45-57.

*Ellen MacDonald Ward. “Sunset at Campobello.” Down East. Vol. 41, No. 9 (April, 1995). Pp. 52-57; 97-101.

*Wayne K.D. Davies. “Capt. William Owen and the settlement of Campobello: Montomeryshire’s connection with New Brunswick, Canada; part 1: Owen’s life and character.” National Library of Wales Journal. Volume 31, Number 2 (1999), pp. 189-213.

*Wayne K.D. Davies. “Capt. William Owen and the settlement of Campobello: Montomeryshire’s connection with New Brunswick, Canada; part 2.” National Library of Wales Journal. Volume 31, Number 3 (2000), pp. 217-241.

*Jonas Klein. Beloved Island: Franklin & Eleanor and the Legacy of Campobello. Introduction by George J. Mitchell. Forest Dale, Vermont: Paul S. Eriksson, c2000. Xiii, 274 pp.

DEER ISLAND:

*G.A. Thompson & M.P. Martin. “The smiling Isle of Passamquoddy.” 13. From New England Magazine XXXIX (1), 66. 1908. M

C. C. Avard. Where Fairhaven Foods Are Canned [H.W. Welch Ltd.]. 10 In MA XLII (11), 5. 1952. L

M. F. Barto. Historical Sketch of Deer Island [Charlotte County]. 63. 1962. L

J. Sweet. Partridge Island. 9. In NBHSC #16, 111. 1961. L

M. H. Dixon. History of Indian Island [Mijegnagoose], Charlotte County. 6. CCHSC 24. Tps. 1964. M

S. Lambert. Deer Island, New Brunswick. 20. n.d. U

*Martha Ford Barto. Passamaquoddy: Genealogies of West Isles Families.Saint John: Lingley Printing Company, 1975. Vi, 228 pp.

Lois Patricia Mitchell. “‘Making It Pay’: A Study of the Organization and Operation of the Deer Island Weir Fishery.” Ph.D. Thesis. University of New Brunswick, 1987. Xii, 204 pp.

*Stirling Lambert. Tales from a Small Island. Stuarttown, New Brunswick: Sterling Lambert Printing, c1999. 60 pp.

*Dorothy Pringle Schneider. The Chaffey Dynasty of Indian Island, N.B. Fredericton: Centennial Print, [2000]. 134 pp.

DENNYSVILLE:

*Dennysville, Maine. Memorial of the 100th anniversary of the settlement of Dennysville, Maine, 1886. Portland: B. Thurston, 1886. Pp. 115.

“History of Dennysville and Vicinity with an Account of Some of the First Settlers There.” Bangor Historical Magazine, 6 (1890-1891), pp.269-272.

*Dennysville, Maine. Congregational Church. Exercises in Commemoration of the One Hundredth Anniversary of the Congregational Church, Dennysville, Maine, October 25, 1905. Bangor: O.F. Knowles, [1905]. Pp. 42. Historical address by Charles Whittier.

Ruth L. W. Draper. “Through the Stereoscope.” Down East. 15 (June, 1969), pp.44-47. Lincoln family and their home.

Ruth L. W. Draper. “Old Days – Old Ways.” Down East, 19 (March, 1973), pp.40-41. Reminiscences.

*Rebecca Weston Hobart. Dennysville, 1786-1986 … and Edmunds, Too! Second Edition. Dennysville: Dennys River Historical Society, 1993. Vi, 121 pp.

*David B. Mattern. Benjamin Lincoln and the American Revolution. Columbia, South Carolina: University of South Carolina Press, 1995. 317 pp.

EASTPORT:

Jonathan D. Weston. The History of Eastport and Vicinity. Boston: Marsh, Capen and Lyon, 1834.

*A Directory of … the Town of Eastport for 1888. Portland, Maine: Putnam, Tower & Co., 1888.

*William Henry Kilby. “A New England Town Under Foreign Martial Law.” New England Magazine. New Series, Vol. 14. (1896) Pp. 685-698.

*The Eastport City Directory, Containing a List of the Residents, Business Firms, Institutions … 1901-1902. Eastport, Maine: City Directory Company, 1901.

*Nathaniel Goddard: A Boston Merchant. Printed by the Riverside Press, 1906 for private distribution. Diary accounts of a businessman including his stay in Eastport in the late 1700s.

*Diary of Sarah Connell Ayer; Andover and Newburyport, Massachusetts; Concord and Bow, New Hampshire; Portland and Eastport, Maine. Portland, Maine: LeFavor-Tower Company, 1910.

*(pc)Harden F. Taylor. “Pearl Essence: Its History, Chemistry and Technology.” Appendix II to the Report of the U.S. Commissioner of Fisheries for 1925. Bureau of Fisheries Document No. 989. Washington, Government Printing Office, 1925.

* Will Beale. “George Pearse Ennis: Artist of Dramatic Moods.” The American Art Student and Commercial Artist. Vol. IX, No. 3 (December 31, 1925), pp. 24-28.

*John Toft. “Report on the Sardine Industry at Eastport, Maine.” n.l. (circa 1939).

*Stanley Leven, “Eastport: A Study of Morale,” undergraduate honors thesis, Harvard College, 1941.

*Richard Edward DuWors. “Values as an Heuristac Concept in Community Analysis: A Comparative Study.” Ph.D. thesis. Harvard University, 1949. A comparative sociological study of Eastport and Lubec.

*C. Donald Brown. “Eastport: A Maritime History.” American Neptune. 28 (April 1968), pp. 113-127

*Eastport: A Maritime History. Border History Fathom Series. No. 1. Eastport, Maine: Border History Research & Publishing Center, 1968.

*David Butwin. “Portrait of a Declining Town.” Saturday Review. 51 (October 5, 1968), pp. 17-19, 40, 42.

Walter Lowrie. “Roosevelt and the Passamaquoddy Bay Tidal Project.” History. 30 (1968-69).

*Allen L.Springer. “Canada, the United States and the Eastport Refinery: A Time for Confrontation.” Bowdoin College, 1981.

*Pamela Wood. Eastport for Pride. (Salt magazine). Nos. 21 & 22. Kennebunkport, Maine: Salt, Inc., 1982.

*David Zimmerman. Coastal Fort: A History of Fort Sullivan, Eastport, Maine. Eastport, Maine: Border Historical Society, 1984. *Neil DePaoli. Beneath the Barracks: Archaeology at Fort Sullivan. Eastport, Maine: Border Historical Society, 1986.

*Hugh T. French. “Sardines: From Europe to Passamaquoddy, 1875-1899.” M.A. thesis. University of New Brunswick, 1988.

*Paul Sullivan, S.J.. St.Joseph’s Parish, Eastport. Portland, Maine: Seavey Printers, 1988.

*Robert F. Baldwin. “Eastport: Life on the Edge.” Down East. February, 1988. Pp. 26-32.

*John L. Raye. Island Sacrifice. East Machias, Maine: Dutch Island Press, circa 1993.

*Kenneth L. Willey. Vital Records from the Eastport Sentinel of Eastport, Maine, 1818-1900. Camden, Maine: Picton Press, circa 1996.

*John “Terry” Holt. The Island City: A History of Eastport, Moose Island, Maine. From Its Founding to Present Times. Eastport: Eastport 200 Committee, 1999. Softbound. 128 pages. Illustrated.

*Christopher S. Beach. “Scripting Maine’s Environmentalist Majority: The ‘Theater of Oil,’ 1968-1975.” Maine History. Vol. 40, no. 1 (Spring, 2001), pp. 20-49.

*Wayne Curtis. “Something Fishy in Small Town X.” Preservation. Vol. 53, No. 6 (November/December, 2001). Pp. 18-23.

GRAND MANAN:

J. Dunn, A Sermon Occasioned by the Burning of the Episcopal Church in the Parish of Grand Manan (1841), pp.15 (L)

*[E. Abbott]. “Grand Manan and ‘Quoddy Bay.” 16. From Harper’s New Monthly Magazine, no. 334. Pp. 541-556. 1878. Includes illustrations by Alfred Thompson Bricher.

J. Howe, ed. “Letters and documents relating to the history and settlement of the Island of Grand Manan.” 25. In NBHSC I, 341. 1894. L

*William I. Cole. “Grand Manan.” In New England Magazine, New Series, Vol.XX, No. 4, (June, 1899). Pp. 387-402.

E. Jack. Grand Manan and its early history. 3. Tps. n.d. [c.1905]. M

G. L. Bent. “Jonathan Eddy and Grand Manan.” 7. In Acadiensis VI, 166. L

*Holman Day. “Grim Grand Manan.” Harper’s Magazine. 125 (1912), pp. 347-356. U

M. G. Otty. Grand Manan. 13. In CGJ, July 1930, 239. 1930. L

C. A. Dixon. Grand Manan Life Saving Station. 4. In MA XXV (4), 9. 1934. U

C. C. Avard. A Visit to Grand Manan. 4. In MA XXIX (2), 5. 1938. U

Ian Sclanders. “Island That’s Too Good to be True.” Maclean’s 66 (1953), pp.16, 74-76.

J. W. Fisher. Grand Manan as Seen by John Fisher. 5. 1954. L

*E.N. Wilcox and L.K. Ingersoll, editors. Grand Manan. Second Edition. Sponsored by the Board of Trade, Grand Manan. 36 pp. 1957.

L. K. Ingersoll. The Grand Manan Historical Society. 4. In NBHSC #18, 155. 1963. L

*L. K. Ingersoll. On the Rock: An Island Anthology. Grand Manan. 70. 1963. L

S. E. McPhee. Social Organization and Economic Change in a Fishing Community [Grand Manan]. 308. Thesis. 1963. U

I. Green. Ingall’s Head Post Office. 1. In NBHSC #19, 59. 1966. L

L. K. Ingersoll. “A Life Line Over the Sea [Grand Manan ferry].” 4. In NBHSC #19, 65. 1966. L

Robert F. Leggett. “Grand Manan ‘Farest of the Isles of Fundy’. CGJ 66 (1963), pp.50-53

*Katherine Scherman. Two Islands: Grand Manan and Sanibel. Boston: Little, Brown, 1971. 256 pp. L

Laura A. Siminoff. “Traps, Nets and Networks: An Anthropological Study of a New Brunswick Fishing Community.” M.A. Thesis. University of New Brunswick, 1978 [c.1979]. 149 pp.

*The Descendants of Charles Dyer Wilcox on Grand Manan Island – New Brunswick, Canada. Edited by Elmer N. Wilcox. Seal Cove, Grand Manan, New Brunswick: Privately printed, 1980. 52 pp.

*Eric Allaby. Grand Manan. Grand Manan: Grand Manan Museum, 1984. 64 pp.

*Ina Small and Ernie Mutimer. Ina of Grand Manan: A Stranger from Away. Halifax: Nimbus Publishing, 1989. xiv, 114 pp.

*Doreen Blanche Small. “Picturing Grand Manan: Nineteenth Century Painting and the Representation of Place.” M.A. Thesis. Trent University, 1998. 148 pp. MAI, v.37-01, p.6. AAGMQ30231.

*Tim Peters. Rhythm of the Tides: The Fisheries of Grand Manan. [Salem, Massachusetts]: Tim Peters Photography, 2000. 96 pp. Illustrated.

THE GRAND MANAN HISTORIAN, 1934 – PRESENT:

*NUMBER 1: The Settling of Grand Manan; Moses Gerrish
*NUMBER 2: Celebration of Grand Manan’s 150 Anniversary; The New Brunswick Loyalists
*NUMBER 3: First Report on the Geology of Grand Manan by Abraham Gesner, M.D.
*NUMBER 4: Grant Manan, A Summer Reminiscence by B.F. DeCosta
*NUMBER 5: The History and Settlement of Grand Manan by Jonas Howe; The Origin and History of the Name Grand Manan by W.F. Ganong; Sieur de Persigny’s Grant, 1693; The License of Occupation, 1783; Hallingworth on Grand Manan, 1786; Moose at Grand Manan (1784-1835?); American Privateer’s at Grand Manan during the War of 1812; Grand Manan Assigned to Great Britain, 1817
*NUMBER 6: The Jesuits at Grand Manan in 1613; Captain Owen’s Visit in 1770
*NUMBER 7: Transition Issue The History of the Grand Manan Historical Society; A Biography of Buchanan Charles
*NUMBER 8: Report of a Royal Commission on the State of Grand Manan Fisheries
*NUMBER 9: The Rob Report on the State of the Fisheries, the Condition of the Lighthouses, the Contraband Trade and Various other Matters in the Bay of Fundy(1840)
*NUMBER 10: The Perley Report on the Fisheries of Grand Manan (1850)
*NUMBER 11: Grand Manan as Part of the New Dominion; A Special Centennial Issue describing the Grand Manan Community at the time of the Confederation of Canada; Part of the Series on the History of Fishing and Social Condition in Grand Manan, N.B. and Bay of Fundy area, 1840-1867. 1967 reprinted in 1973. Note: Indexing follows first printing add a few pages to 2nd printing.
*NUMBER 12: The Great Debate of 1877 – Walter B. McLaughlin for Canada and Wilfred J. Fisher for the USA
*NUMBER 13: At the Turn of the Centuiry (1877-1905)
*NUMBER 14: Lobsters Galore
*NUMBER 15: The Rich and the Lean Years (1906-1939)
*NUMBER 16: The Ships of Grand Manan; All Along the Coastline
*NUMBER 17: Family History: The Census of Grand Manan in 1851 by R.F. Fellows
*NUMBER 18: Relics of a Century – Shipwrecks, Grand Manan part 1: 1800-1900
*NUMBER 19: Buchanan Charles Memorial Issue; In Tribute and Farewell; The Norsemen at Grand Manan by B. Charles; A General Report on Aplication for Land by Donald MacDonald; Roads for Sale, A Brief Survey of Highway Development by L.K. Ingersoll; Rev. Alexander Taylor, An Introduction Reminiscences of My Early Life by A. Taylor
*NUMBER 20: The Other Creatures
*NUMBER 21: Pale of the Church by Wade Reppert
*NUMBER 22: Log Cabins, Free Ports, and Tourism Life in a Pioneer Village; Free Ports: A Dream That Failed; Grand Manan as an Early Tourist Destination
*NUMBER 23: Back to the Beginning: Island Geology Re-examined by Dr. Robert F. Legget
*NUMBER 24: Index to the Grand Manan Historian Vol. 1-23. Compiled by Gleneta Hettrick and the Grand Manan Genealogical Society, Edited by Wade Reppert
*NUMBER 25: M.D. for the Islands: The Life and Times of Dr. John Francis Macaulay by L.K. Ingersoll.
*NUMBER 26: Shipwrecks of Grand Manan by Eric Allaby.

LUBEC:

*James MacGregor. History of Washington Lodge, No. 37, Free and Accepted Masons, Lubec, Maine, 1822, 1890. Portland: E.W. Brown and J.B. Neagle, 1892. Pp. 99. Includes a brief sketch of the history of the town.

*R. R. Drummond. “The Centennial of Lubec, Maine.” Pennsylvania Germania. New Series, 2 (1913), pp.215-216.

William Cabell Greet. “A Record from Lubec, Maine and Remarks on the Coastal Type.” American Speech. 6 (1931), pp.397-403

*Richard Edward DuWors, “Values as an Heuristac Concept in Community Analysis: A Comparative Study,” Ph.D.thesis, Harvard University, 1949. A comparative sociological study of Eastport and Lubec.

*Richard Hallet. “The Great Quoddy Gold Hoax: One of the Greatest Swindles of the Age.” Down East. Vol. I, No. 5 (Winter, 1955), pp.18-20. Perpetrated by Prescott Ford Jernegan and Charles Fisher in 1898.

Lawrence T. Smyth. “When the Cambridge was Lost.” Steamboat Bill. 16 (1959), pp.15-16. Shipwreck on Old Man Ledge off Allen’s Island, February 9, 1886.

*Frank P. Adams, Sr. “Notes on the Maritime History of Lubec, Maine.” American Neptune. Vol. XXIV, No.1 (January, 1964), pp.38-60.

John Mason. “The Great Sea-water Swindle.” Yankee. 29 (February, 1965), pp.56-59, 110-112. Prescott Ford Jernegan and the Electolytic Marine Salts Co., 1897.

*Nicholas Dean. Lubec: Photographs by Nicholas Dean. Foreword by Ansel Adams. Identity Magazine. Cambridge, Massachusetts. 1966. 30 pp. including 21 photographs. Elmore B. Lyford. “There is Such a Place as Baileys Mistake!” Yankee. 32 (March, 1968), pp. 162-163

*Ryerson Johnson. 200 Years of Lubec History, 1776-1976: Bicentennial Issue. [Lubec, Maine]: Lubec Historical Society, [1976]. vii, 147 pp.

Patricia McCurdy Townsend. Lubec, Maine. Vital Records of Prior to 1892. Rockport, Maine: Picton Press, 1996. 350 pp.

PASSAMAQUODDY/SIPAYIK:

*Report of the Agent of the Passamaquoddy Indians, for the Year 1878. Augusta, Maine: Sprague, Owen and Nash, Printers to the State, 1878. 6 pp.

*Charles Leland. “Legends of the Passamaquoddy.” Century. Vol. 28 (1884) Pp. 668-677.

*Charles Leland. The Algonquin Legends of New England, or Myths and Folk Lore of the Micmac, Passamaquoddy, and Penobscot Tribes. 2d ed. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin, 1885. Xv, 379 pp.

*Abby L. Alger. In Indian Tents: Stories Told by Penobscot, Passamaquoddy and Micmac Indians. Boston: Roberts Brothers, 1897. 139 pp. The author accompanied Charles Leland as he collected material for his book The Algonquin Legends of New England(1884) in the summers of 1882 and 1883.

*J. Dynely Prince. “Notes on Passamaquoddy Literature.” In Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. Volume XIII (1900-1901). Pp. 381-386.

*John Dyneley Prince. Passamaquoddy Texts. Volume X. Publications of the American Ethnological Society. Edited by Franz Boas. New York: G.E. Stechert & Co., 1921. 85 pp.

*Paul Brodeur. Restitution: The Land Claims of the Mashpee, Passamaquoddy, and Penobscot Indians of New England. Boston: Northeastern University Press, 1985.

*Joan C. Luckhardt. “Passamaquoddy Indians and Local Whites: Interconnections and Conflicts within a Changing Political Economy, 1600-1983.” Ph.D. Thesis. Rutgers University, 1985.

*Nitawi Skicinuwatu (I Know How to Speak Indian). Book I: Passamaquoddy/Maliseet. Pleasant Point, Perry, Maine: Waponahki Museum and Resource Center, 1986-1987. 54 pp.

*Passamaquoddy/Maliseet Reference Book. [Pleasant Point, Perry, Maine]: Passamaquoddy/Maliseet Bilingual Program, 1988. 112 pp.

*Maine Indian Program. The Wabanakis of Maine and the Maritimes: A Resource Book about Passamaquoddy, Maliseet, Micmac, and Abenaki Indians. Bath, Maine: New England Regional Office of the American Friends Service Committee, 1989.

*Robert H. White. Tribal Assets: The Rebirth of Native America. New York: Hentry Holt, 1990. Xii, 291 pp.

* Harald E. L. Prins. “Passamaquoddy.” In Native America in the Twentieth Century: An Encyclopedia. Edited by Mary B. Davis. New York: Garland Publishing, 1994. Pp. 435-436.

*Judith Leader. “An Ethno-history of the Passamaquoddy.” Ph.D. Thesis. Boston University, 1995.

*Passamaquoddy Community Vision 1996 – Passamaquoddy Tribe at Pleasant Point, Sipayik, Perry, Maine: A Design for Community Development. Pleasant Point, Perry, Maine: White Owl Press/Pleasant Point Passamaquoddy Reservation Housing Authority, 1996. Viii, 113 pp.

*Ruth B. Phillips. Trading Identities: The Souvenir in Native American Art from the Northeast, 1700-1900. Seattle, Washington: University of Washington Press, 1998. Xviii, 334 pp.

*A Wabanaki Guide to Maine: A Visitors Guide to Native American Culture in Maine. Old Town, Maine: Maine Indian Basketmakers Alliance, 2000. 86 pp.

*Bourque, Bruce J. With contributions by Steven L. Cox and Ruth H. Whitehead. Twelve Thousand Years: American Indians in Maine. Lincoln, Nebraska: University of Nebraska Press, 2001. Xx, 368 pp.

*Donald Soctomah. Passamaquoddy at the Turn of the Century, 1890-1920: Tribal Life and Times in Maine and New Brunswick. n.p., 2002. Xii, 198 pp.

PEMBROKE:

*T.W. Pomroy.Clairvoyant Reminiscences and Herbal Recipes. New York: Geo. A. Sparks, 1887. *Also reprinted by Pembroke Historical Society, Pembroke, Maine, 1996.

*Charles H. Best. Selected Papers of Charles H. Best. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1963. Xx, 723 pp. Dr. Charles Best was a native of Pembroke and the co-discoverer of insulin.

*Pembroke, Maine. Historical Souvenir Book. Pembroke Sesquicentennial, 1832-1982. Settled-1770, Incorporated-1832. Pembroke, Maine: Pembroke Sesquicentennial Committee, 1982. iv, 79 pp.

*Doris A. Bridges. Growing Up Way Downeast.Mt. Desert: Windswept House Publishers, 1997. Xix, 296 pp.

*James J. Kiepper. Styles Bridges: Yankee Senator. Sugar Hill, New Hampshire: Phoenix Publishing, 2001. Xiv, 271 pp. Senator Bridges was a native of Pembroke.

PERRY:

* Sesquicentennial, 1818-1968: Historical Souvenir Book, Perry, Maine. n.p., n.d.[1968].128 pp.

ROBBINSTON:

SAINT ANDREWS:

A … History of … St. Andrews. 1818. X

St. Andrews, New Brunswick, on Passamaquoddy Bay. 48. Includes plans of the Algonquin Hotel. [1889]. Acadia University Library.

*Souvenir of St. Andrews, N.B. Published for Thos. R. Wren, St. Andrews, N.B. Includes seven color plates. Circa 1900.

Canadian Pacific Railway. St.-Andrews-by-the-Sea. Reached by the C.P.R. 23. [1901]. M

W. F. Ganong. The Naming of St. Andrews. 5. In Acadiensis II, 184. 1902. L

[J. Campbell]. Reminiscences of St. Andrews. 8. In Acadiensis III, 211. 1903. L

D. R. Jack. List of Wills in St. Andrews’ Registry Office, 1783-1849. In Acadiensis III, 170. 1903. L

David Russell Jack. “St. Andrews-by-the-Sea.” 6. In Acadiensis III, 163. 1903. L

I. A. Jack. Anecdotes Relating Chiefly to St. Andrews. 12. In Acadiensis III, 224. 1903. L

A. W. Mahon. The Aud Kirk [Greenock Church, St. Andrews]. 33. In Acadiensis III, 193. 281. 1903. L

M. N. Cockburn. A History of Greenock Church, St. Andrews, 1821-1906. 52. 1906. L

M. N. Cockburn. The Town of Saint Andrews. Some of Its Early History. 47. In Acadiensis VII, 203. 1907. L

A. W. Mahon. The Friendly Society [St. Andrews]. 6. In Acadiensis VII, 187. 1907. L

V. H. Daye. The Charlotte County Bank, 1825. 3. In MA XXIV (4), 13. 1933. U

F. Wren. The Early History of St. Andrews as Shown by Historical Tableaux. 12. 1942. L.

C. L. Fairweather. A Passamaquoddy Town [St. Andrews]. 3. In Canadian Homes & Gardens XXII, June 1945, 30. 1945.

All Saints Parish Guild comp. Brief History of the Anglican Church, St. Andrews, New Brunswick. 7. 1947. U

M. O’Brien. Saint Anddrews [Roman Catholic church]. 5. Ms. Microfilm F10. 1948. Um

G. H. Mowat. History of St. Andrews, New Brunswick. 152. A list of grantees of St. Andrews. pp. 141-152. 1953. L

B. Carson. The “Black Swan” [ship]. 5. CCHSC 1. Tps. 1961. M

F. E. Haughn. Historic St. Andrews Lighthouse. 2. CCHSC 4. Clipping. 1961. M

G. Keith. The Wreck of the Grampus. 2. In NBHSC #17, 81. 1961. L

J. C. Medcof. Loss of the Barque “James W. Elwell” and Tragic Experiences of a St. Andrews Sailing Captain, 1872. 15. In NBHSC #16, 9. 1961. L

Mrs. F. E. Haughn. The Block House at St. Andrews. 3. CCHSC 9. Tps. 1962. M

E. C. Mallory. Navy [St. Andrews] Island. 6. CCHSC 8. Tps. 1962. M

W. McCoubrey. A Fragment of Local History [Chamcook ice house]. 3. CCHSC 12. Tps. 1963. M

J. C. Medcof. “The Man They Never Buried” [Sandy Rollins]. 3. InNBHSC #18, 55. 1963. L

J. L. Muir. The West Blockhouse [St. Andrews]. 4. In NBMHB XI (2). 1964. L

T. W. Acheson. “Denominationalism in a Loyalist County: A Social History of Charlotte County, New Brunswick.” M.A. Thesis. University of New Brunswick, 1964.

R. Applebee. Vessels Built in Saint Andrews and Saint Stephen. CCHSC, 32. 30. Mimeo. 1966. M

M. Grimmer. History of Saint John’s Chapel of Ease, Chamcook. 9. CCHSC 39. Memeo. 1966. M

J. C. Medcof. The St. Andrews Brigantine “Bachelor”. 20. In CCHSC 26. Tps. 1966. M

St. Andrews, New Brunswick, on Passamaquoddy Bay. 45. n.d. M

*Melville N. Cockburn and E. Willa MacCoubrey. A History of Greenock Church, St. Andrews, New Brunswick from 1821 to 1974. St. Andrews, 1974. 84 pp. Illustrated.

*St. Andrews Heritage Handbook: A Homeowner’s Guide to Exterior Renovation and Maintenance. St. Andrews: St. Andrews Civic Trust, [n.d., c.1980]. Iv, 58 pp.

*William Nathaniel Banks. “Castine, Maine, and St. Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada.” The Magazine Antiques. July, 1980. Pp. 102-119 with additional photograph of Greenock Church, St. Andrews, p. 100.

*Roger Paul Nason. “Meritorious but Distressed Individuals: The Penobscot Loyalist Association and the Settlement of the Township of St. Andrews, New Brunswick, 1783-1821.” M.A. Thesis. University of New Brunswick, 1982. Viii, 184 pp.

*Carle A. Rigby. The Old St. Andrews Road. Volume One. 63 pp.

*Carle A. Rigby. The Old St. Andrews Road. Volume Two. 80 pp.

*France Gagnon-Pratte. Country houses for Montrealers, 1892-1924: The Architecture of E. and W.S. Maxwell. Montreal, Quebec: Meridian Press, c1987. 214 pp. Includes material about the Maxwell designed houses in St. Andrews.

*Willa Walker. No Hay Fever & A Railway: Summers in St. Andrews, Canada’s First Seaside Resort. Fredericton, New Brunswick: Goose Lane Editions, 1989. 176 pp.

*The Architecture of Edward & W.S. Maxwell. Montreal, Quebec: Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, 1991. 191 pp. Exhibition catalog. Edward & W.S. Maxwell designed many of the summer houses of St. Andrews built around 1900.

*C. Ruth Spicer. “G. Horne Russell, R.C.A.: Portrait of an Illustrator and Artist.” In Myth and Milieu: Atlantic Literature and Culture, 1918-1939. Gwendolyn Davies, editor. Thomas H. Raddall Symposium, Number 2. Fredericton, New Brunswick: Acadiensis Press, 1993. Pp. 47-54.

*Ronald Rees. St. Andrews and the Islands. Halifax, Nova Scotia: Nimbus Publishing, 1995. 149 pp.

*Andrew Sackett. “Inhaling the Salubrious Air: Health and Development in St. Andrews, N.B., 1880-1910.” Acadiensis. Vol.XXV, No.1(Autumn/Automne, 1995). Pp.54-81.

*Andrew Jonathan Sackett. “Doing History in the ‘Great Cyclorama of God’: Tourism and the Presentation of the Past in Twentieth-Century St. Andrews, New Brunswick.” M.A. Thesis. Queen’s University, 1995. 181 pp. AAT MM00771; MAI 34/02, p.576 (April 1996).

*Ronald Rees. Historic St. Andrews (Images of Our Past). Halifax, Nova Scotia: Nimbus Publishing, 2001. 120 pp.

WHITING:

*History of Whiting, Maine. Calais, Maine: Advertising Publishing Company,1975. 95 pp.

*=book or article held by the Tides Institute Library.
*(pc)=photocopy of book or article held by the Tides Institute Library.

Comments are closed